Write For Us
Thank you for your interest in writing for Blunt Therapy: The Best Mental Health Blog on the Internet! Please read the following information in order to see what kind of content we publish. If you are an excellent writer who is well-informed about topics related to mental health or addictions then we’d love to hear from you.
Are You Ready?
Submit Your Article
What we write about:
Blunt Therapy is a professionally-written blog that focuses on the following topics:
- Mental and Behavioral Health. Example.
- Substance Abuse Treatment. Example.
- Healthy Relationships. Example.
- Effective Parenting. Example.
- Counseling and Psychotherapy. Example
Please note that Blunt Therapy is not a forum for personal narratives or poetry. Check out The Mighty if you’re interested in personal stories.
- Inform readers about issues related to mental health.
- Destigmatize and demystify mental health and mental health treatment.
- Provide useful, actionable tips that increase our readers’ quality of life.
- Stimulate thought, discussion, and debate.
- Identify and promote high quality and relevant mental health products and services.
Who Should Write For Us?
Our preference is to publish and promote articles and essays written by masters and doctoral level counselors and therapists who have an expert understanding of the subject matter about which they are writing. However, not all expertise is learned in the classroom. If you work or volunteer in the field, we’d love to hear from you.
Please, do not submit articles if you are under 21 years of age, or if you are not proficient in English.
WHY Should You Write For Us?
- Your own profile pic and byline;
- Author bio with links to home site and/or social media channels;
- Free exposure to thousands of targeted readers;
- Add to your resume or online writing portfolio;
- Blunt Therapy is a trusted blog about mental health, addictions, relationships, and parenting
Guest Posts Vs. Sponsored Content
Writers with an expertise in mental health, counseling, relationships, addictions, or parenting are welcome to submit posts free of charge. For those writers who represent a company or who plan to endorse or promote a product, please be advised hat your post is subject to the following:
- Sponsored posts will be indicated as such.
- Sponsored posts will be accepted only if they are relevant to the topics included in Blunt Therapy, are well-written, and are original, helpful, and well-written.
- Sponsored posts will include an author byline.
- Sponsored posts will have no more than two do-follow links.
- Sponsored posts will be subject to a nominal fee, to be paid through PayPal, and will remain active for a period not less than 12 months.
Tone of Articles
Articles may be written in either 1st or 3rd person. The tone should be informative but down-to-earth. Articles should be written for a web-audience, meaning clear and crisp sentences with multiple headings and short paragraphs. Please avoid technical and/or jargon-heavy writing. The focus should be solution-focused and mindful.
Length of Articles
We ask that posts be a minimum of 750 words, with an optimal word length between 1500 to 2000.
Need an editor are an expert to make an infographic? I use Fiverr for everything. They’re awesome.
Do's and Don'ts of Article Writing
Submit Original Posts: Posts must be unique and original to Blunt Therapy. Posts must not have been published or submitted elsewhere online. This includes your personal blog and venues such as Medium and Tumblr. Articles will become the property of Blunt-therapy once submitted.
Share Your Expertise and Passion: Blunt Therapy focuses on mental and behavioral health. You can add value to our work by bringing your own unique voice and views, infused with your own passion and personality. Please write from your heart, based on personal experience and/or professional expertise, and please write as if you’re talking to a friend. The more down-to-earth the better. The best articles are the ones that seem like the author is talking to you, not at you.
Choose a Great Title: When choosing a title, think about the reader. What are they looking to learn? What problem do they want to solve? Write your title keeping those things in mind.
Use a “Hook” in your Opening Statement: The first few sentences will determine if your reader actually reads or moves onto the next article. Please be engaging, tell the reader exactly what they are about to experience, and make them want to keep reading.
Logical & Succinct: In the body of your article…
- Word Count – Please submit articles of at least 750 words. 1500-2000 is preferred.
- Sub-Headings – Please split up your content with relevant subheadings to make it easier for readers to follow the logical flow of ideas.
- Short Paragraphs – So readers can easily digest your awesome article, please keep paragraphs short and succinct (2-3 sentences each).
At Least One Call to Action: Articles should do one of the following:
- Prompt the reader to consider the topic in relation to their own situation and/or
- Give practical tips that the reader can easily start applying in their life.
Inspiring Quote/s: We encourage you to include to provide at least one authoritative quote within your article that relates to the topic.
Videos Inside Your Article: You are welcome to insert a Youtube video into your article if it is directly relevant to the article topic and the content of that video is positive and appropriate. If you wish to include a video, please ensure you put brackets around the Youtube video URL in the exact place in your article that you wish it to appear.
Quote Sources: If your article references data, facts, statistics or research studies, please be sure to include a link to a credible source. Put the link in brackets in the appropriate place in your article (please don’t hyperlink the text). Feel free to include 1-2 links to your own website inside the body of your article. You will also have the option to create an account and have your own author bio as well, with links to your site and/or social media outlets.
Infographics: If you have produced an infographic, we’re happy to publish it along with your article. Please make sure to include all the relevant links. If the infographic is not yours, please provide the proper citations so we can give credit.
Check Before Submitting: Please spellcheck your work. Read it out loud before you submit and make sure all errors have been corrected.
We ask that you avoid doing the following…
Don’t send articles that have been, or will be, published elsewhere: We publish original, unique content. If your article is published on Blunt Therapy, please do not publish it elsewhere.
Don’t send superficial articles: We provide high-quality content that has real substance based on personal experience and/or professional expertise. We are not about spinning content, or about linking just to increase traffic. Please bring your A-Game.
Don’t send SEO-boosted or promotional articles: We won’t accept articles that are designed to boost SEO, to plug a brand name, or to promote yourself, or any product or service. Instead, provide articles that educate, provide guidance, and/or solve problems.
Don’t send anything that’s not related to mental health: Please don’t send articles or bio references that promote a business, service or product that has nothing to do with the focus of our blog.
Don’t send topic ideas: Please submit completed articles only.
How to Submit Your Article
Please email your article, exactly per the below guide, using the contact form below.
Submit your article as an attachment using Microsoft Word.
Make sure to include:
- Title of your article
- Article text
- Your bio – 125 words or less
- Link to your website or blog, if any.
- Links for your social media profiles, if any.
Don’t forget to provide us with the correct spelling of your name and a good contact email.
PHOTO: Plus please attach a high-resolution photo of yourself for your bio. .Jpeg format, square, 200X200.
OPTIONAL: Any images, with sources, and/or infographics.
By submitting articles to Blunt Therapy you acknowledge the following:
- Article submission does not guarantee that it will be published. Articles will be accepted or denied based on quality, relevance, and uniqueness.
- Blunt Therapy does not pay for content contributed.
- You allow Blunt Therapy to make edits and revisions in order to maintain a high standard of quality.
- When an article is published on our site, it is then owned by Blunt Therapy. You are not permitted to re-publish that content without prior approval from Blunt Therapy.
We reserve the right to:
- Decline articles submitted, without providing reasons. (It is not possible for us to provide feedback on individual articles. We appreciate your understanding.)
- Adjust article titles where necessary, in order to optimize reader engagement and SEO.
- Make edits to articles (including but not limited to spelling, grammar, and paragraph/sentence structure for the purpose of improving readability)
We STRONGLY recommend you get and use Grammarly before submitting an article!
Effective January 1, 2020, all articles published on Blunt Therapy from third parties must be submitted using the following form. All forms fields are required. Thank you for your cooperation.
What Happens After I Submit an Article?
Please allow up to 14 days for Blunt-Therapy to read and review your article. We will notify you via email if we decide to publish your content, along with an estimated publication date. Please allow up to 4 weeks for publication once article has been vetted.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation!